Monday, March 14, 2011

Warning: Praise, Accolades, and Gushing Ahead

An embarrassingly serious drill.

This weekend, my city conducted its semi-annual disaster drill. This year we drilled for a flood, and I'm incredibly proud about how they did. I worked at Incident Command at the City level, and continue to be impressed at how serious Herriman takes these drills. From the bottom up, everyone stepped into their role with pride and passion, whether Block Leader or Area Leader, from accident victim to CERT-trained first responder.

I felt a little queasy going into the drill, as news reports about Japan continued to roll through my twitter feed, but I tried to remember Japan will keep the mortality rate low, and will rise above this tragedy because they drilled. Everyone knew where they were supposed to be, and how they were supposed to react and on the 4th day of this disaster, they are still handling it with poise and preparation.

I would love if our skills from Saturday never get tested in a real disaster, but they will, and we will prevail, and find ways to improve.

Still praying for Japan.

(Txt REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation that will be added to your phone bill.)

3 comments:

  1. Hopping by from the blog hop! I'm a new follower and would love if you would check out my new blog at http://www.formulamom.com and follow back! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, an entire city drilling! That's pretty amazing. I can't imagine my city doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's scary. I understand it but it's so morbid feeling. Like picking out your own casket or something.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

You might like these other posts:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...