Monday, February 21, 2011

Ducks v. Chickens (ducks win)


Welcoming the awesome Revellie back today with some more love and learning about ducks. (I also have to say, after tricking Rockstar into eating them, he really liked the duck eggs)
After the long chicken blog, the duck blog is going to be quite short…


Let me just start by saying ducks are awesome!


Josh first took ducks seriously as part of our homestead last summer. He had seen some Runner ducks at a friend’s and had heard they were easy to take care of.  Josh picked up 2 Khaki Campbell’s because they are the most consistent egg layers in the duck world. To be honest with you, I had no clue about duck eggs and was a bit nervous about even trying them. I even made eggs separately the first few times we cooked with them and then slowly started using them more and more. But to my surprise, you can’t really tell the difference.
Khaki Campbell
Ducks are pretty cool. The Khaki Campbell’s (Lois and Lily) are very quiet. It was really neat to sit our back and read as they would waddle around our middle yard foraging for bugs. Then when we got baby turkeys, it was funny to watch the turkeys follow the ducks around like they were the mothers. Once, I accidently trapped one of the ducks behind a wheelbarrow during a turkey fiasco. It was so sad to watch the other one mope around the yard that I almost went out and got another duck (which is saying a lot because I have a strict no animal rule for my car). Luckily, I found the duck, patiently and very quietly waiting for me to release her from her prison.
Muskovy Duck
Interesting enough, ducks don’t need a pond. They just need fresh water. Our Muskovy ducks are good examples of this, however Lois and Lily (the Khaki Campells) love pools of water of any sort (lid, puddle, bucket, wading pool). Our plan is to build a pond this year for the ducks. I am so excited because I really wanted a pond and I get to have one because Josh got ducks. So…don’t tell your husband’s that ducks don’t need a pond.


Here are a few short points about owning ducks:
1.       More neighbor friendly than other homestead type animals (no one is going to think you are homesteading if you have some ducks in a pond).
2.       You only have to feed them in the winter. During the summer they will just forage through your back yard.
3.       You won’t have to mow as much. Our ducks kept our middle yard trimmed (because of foraging) so well, we mowed maybe 3 times last summer.
4.       They are not as personable but I hear if you hand raise them from ducklings they are very sweet and loving.
5.       Lay eggs consistently for up to 7 years (chickens only lay for 2 years). So, a duck can actually become a family pet.
6.       Egg shells are harder than chicken eggs. They don’t crack as easily. This is better for storage and allows for the little ones to help gather and wash eggs as well.
7.       Ducks are hardier than chickens. They are less prone to avian ailments.
8.       Not all ducks fly.

So, if chickens seem too far out there to own, ducks may be a better option. Again you can listen to a podcast about ducks at www.thegoatcast.blogspot.com


Revellie


If you can't wait a month to hear from Revellie, go visit her at http://healingmom.org and http://thegoatcast.blogspot.com/

23 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for stopping by each week! Congrats to the ducks! :)

    Katy
    www.kdbuggie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never know that about ducks.
    Stopping by via the Monday hop to say hello and to follow. Have a great day!
    POSH
    http://poshonabudget.com/2011/02/happy-monday-5.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting stuff. I know a lot more about ducks now than I did five minutes ago. Love your masthead. It's supercute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Following you back from the blog hop! :) Thanks for following me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now following you from the Monday Morning Blog Hop. Would love a follow back: http://meetmarkmakeup.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool stuff about ducks. My kids would love some ducks.

    Following back from the blog hop! Hope you have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi from the blog hop! Very cool blog you have here. Glad to have found you. :)
    www.TheMcMommyDiaries.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi thanks for stopping by Hayden Coupon Mom! It great to meet you! I am now also a fan on fb and follow on twitter, would love to have you as well! I have links to both on my blog www.haydencouponmom.blogspot.com
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stopping by from the bloghop. Interesting learning about your ducks. I'd never thought about eating duck eggs. We've had chickens, but no turkeys or ducks. What a great way to get a pond! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for stopping by Momondealz! My grandmother raises ducks! I am following back. I also have hops on Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday so I hope you can hop by!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, I love this post. For years we had ducks as pets. We ended up owning 9 of them. They were awesome and had quite the little personalities. I'm stopping by via the Mingle Monday hop. Have a great day!

    Debra
    http://thecookbookdiva.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Enjoyed reading your post - took me back to my childhood, my grandparents always had chickens, ducks, turkeys, ginnys....Thanks for visiting me. I'm following you now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My husband and I have considered getting chickens at some point, but you've convinced me that ducks are the way to go! Hi from a fellow Mom and Crusader :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Survival Mama (love that name!) You're another notch in my belt in this following biz. This was such a ducky post. Thank you. I hope we meet often as we crusade away! If you haven't been to my blog yet I am this week wrapping up a very popular series on newly-published authors. New post tomorrow. Perhaps you can put on your party dress and mosey on over to see what author Ann Carbine Best has to say about her journey to publication.

    Denise:)

    Publication Party - next session starts Wednesday with author Ann Best

    ReplyDelete
  15. We've always had some sort of duck lurking around. I love them. Thanks for stopping by my blog. BTW I was reading your profile and I use electricity when we camp too. I think my dad and husband are the only men to have succesfully installed an AC in a tent. lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very helpful information indeed! Thanks for stopping by One Busy Chick, I am now following you back :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful blog and very interesting post! Thanks for visiting...:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm going to pass this info along to my husband. He thinks it would be fun to own a goat to eat the grass so he doesn't have to mow. I, on the other hand, do not think a goat would be fun at all--what about my flowers and bushes? A duck or two might be fun. Wait...they don't eat flowers do they? That would be a deal breaker. And what about the poop? Hmmm...I'll pass this along to him anyway. Ducks are littler and probably won't try to eat me like a goat would :)

    Nice to meet you crusdar. I love the fonts on your blog--super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ducks! And I thought I was brave to have two poodles in the house! ; ) I'm following you now.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow - who knew??? I never thought about eating duck eggs before - interesting that there isn't much difference between them and chicks.

    Love the photos of your ducks!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi! Fellow crusader here. I loved this post. I think ducks are adorable and your post confirmed that for me.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ducks are so cute and I had no idea they made such wonderful pets!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

You might like these other posts:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...