Monday, December 20, 2010

Peace on Earth, Good Will to Men

It's not an unfamiliar term, "Peace on Earth, Good Will to Men," but until Sunday, I hadn't heard this song, which references another Christmas Carol and the lyric.

Words and music by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow & John Marks


I heard the bells on Christmas Day
Their old familiar carols play
And wild and sweet the words repeat
Of peace on Earth, good will to men



And thought how as the day had come
The belfries of all Christendom
Had rolled along the unbroken song
Of peace on Earth, good will to men
I can hear them
I can hear them
I can hear them



And in despair I bowed my head
'There is no peace on Earth' I said
For hate is strong and mocks the song
Of peace on Earth, good will to men



Then pealed the bells more loud and deep
God is not dead nor does He sleep
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
With peace on Earth, good will to men



I can hear You
I can hear You
I can hear You
I could still hear You

The world can hear You

I started thinking about the promise of Peace on Earth, Good Will to Men, and whether it's really a possibility. 

I used to think peace wasn't possible because our country was always at war. Stories of war in other countries remains a constant on the evening news. Always war, never peace. Certainly no 'Good Will.'

But is war really half a world away? Or does it exist not only in my own town, but in my own home, in my own office? War is everywhere, but sometimes the weapon of choice is not grenades and tanks, but words and actions. 

I don't think it's too bold to say Peace on Earth, Good Will to Men will not happen unless war no longer exists in the tiniest interactions of every day life.

Inside churches, where pockets of peace should exist in the world, dissension reigns. Someone "should" believe a certain way, behave another, tithe more, drink less, and we go to war. Outside churches, someone doesn't believe in the same God, and we go to war.

On the roads, where we should extol the miracle of machinery, anger and mayhem drives our vehicles.

In the line at the grocery store, in the kitchen at home, everywhere is war.

I read a fellow Survival blogger's post the other day about an interaction he had with someone at a grocery store. They made fun of the amount of canned milk he had loaded in his cart. He fired back with an angry response. 


If we are to become united on the other side of a disaster, how can we prepare our attitudes for peace like we prepare our shelves for food?

How tragic to not only endure a catastrophe, but to do it with the same hearts and minds that guide our decisions today? Do we want to survive only to recreate the anger, hatred, murder that exists now in our world?

I am quick to snark, and I have a razor tongue. I don't think a day has gone by that I haven't said something I regret. I've lobbed grenades at my opposition simply because I was committed to my mistake. I want to be right.

My food storage is full.
My water filtration system is in place.
My heart is not ready.
My soul is not prepared.
I am not at a place of peace.

Peace on Earth, Good Will to Men.

16 comments:

  1. You haven't heard that song before? Weird!! I am following from the Tuesday Train! I'd love for you to follow back when you get the opportunity!

    Heather From and Mommy Only Has Two Hands! and Lynhea Designs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! Visiting here and happy tuesday
    Happy Holidays
    newest follower ,pls. follow me back
    :) Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am your new follower. You can follow me back at http://showmemama.com. Make sure you leave a comment so I know you visited.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes it is more important to be peaceful than it is to be right. I could learn a thing or two about that myself.

    - Steven

    http://www.theemotionmachine.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful song. Newest follow from Blog Hop. Follow back at http://www.closertolucy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just out Mingling on Monday, getting an ealy start!

    --

    Anna, The Pilot's Wife
    Follow My Blog At:
    http://www.pilotwife.blogspot.com
    Enter Weekly Drawing for a Free Candle!
    http://anna.scent-team.com/weeklydrawing/index.php

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I'm your newest follower from on of the hops :)

    I have a giveaway going on if you're interested, it's listed here: We Don't Have It All Together

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! I found you through the blog hop and really enjoyed reading your awesome blog. Oh yeah, I'm a survivor too. I'm your newest follower. Hope you get a chance to visit my blog and follow back. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm your newest follower from the blog hop! Looking forward to visiting often...
    Kim
    http://lilliputcottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found you on the Monday Mingle. I am now following you from http://datssocute.blogspot.com Hope you'll come by and check it out. BJ

    ReplyDelete
  11. New Follower from Monday Mingle!!

    Happy Holidays and hope you can come follow back!!

    http://princessmomof2.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi! I'm a new follower from Mingle Monday! I look forward to reading your posts :)
    http://tidbitsfromamom.blogspot.com
    http://dearheartdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm your newest follower from Mingle Monday! Looking forward to reading more of your posts! Have a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Visiting from Miscellany. You are right, the words to this song are beautiful. I also found your profile interesting. I've joined to follow you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi I'm a new follower! I found your blog from
    the blog hop!
    I'd love to have you follow me back at http://www.luvinmylilmonkeys.blogspot.com
    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  16. new follower from the blog hop - Mingle Monday!

    Great blog!

    Would appreciate it of you would come visit & follow me at:
    http://www.momto2poshlildivas.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

You might like these other posts:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...