Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Preparedness Away From Home.

What About Car Preparedness?

I'm working my way through the TEK-S safety course, and one piece that really stuck out was a question in the Evaluation:


Do you always have spare cash in your front pocket, in case of emergencies?


Uh, no.



Hell, I hardly have cash on me. Period. Let alone somewhere smart, like a front pocket.


So there I was today, first day on the new job, happily taking a lunch break - when, whamo - my annual lock the keys in the car fest.


Brilliant.


But I'm THE Survival Mama. So I run into Subway, no wire hangers. Next door to the tailor shop - hanger. I'm outside, hanger jammed through the window in two minutes flat, curved around pushing the unlock button.


Nothing.


This goes on for several minutes. (PS - NONE of the 7.5 men who walked by stopped to help!!) I finally figure out my car has a super safety feature whereby if you lock the car, THEN shut the door, it won't open via the button. It's a friggin Highlander - really?? People steal those via a coathanger??!


There happened to be a jiffy lube across the street, and a tow truck in the mexican joint next door. Me with NO cash to bribe a helpful unchivalrous fellow. This isn't the first time a little cash would have gone a LONG way to speed up my pain relief. 


Major lessons today about preparedness outside my food storage pantry:
1. Be present! No more talking on the phone during critical decision making times.


2. Hide a key ON the car. Start using the keyfob to lock the door.


3. Cash on me AT ALL TIMES. No spending that emergency cash for anything other than emergencies!


Thankfully, chivalry showed up in a brand new silver stallion - Rockstar's Rockstar Boss came and rescued me. Yay for chivalry - it's there, disguised as nice guys.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, Thanks for the visit! Love your blog. I need many tips from you on survival. Lesson learned this evening....carry cash! I don't do that either but good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've needed cash too and didn't have it. My car had a flat and AAA had to tow me because they couldn't change my tire or something. I don't remember. So they took me to my repair shop and notified me that AAA Basic only covered the first 25 miles...after that I had to pay... They took only took cash and I had none on me...

    Following you from FMBT! I love style of your blog & can't wait to read more!! :) I hope you can follow us back! We have some great giveaways going on and will have even more giveaways every week until Christmas! Hope you can visit us!

    Mommy Miscellaneous

    ReplyDelete
  3. I basically only use cash - I just hate the idea of stores tracking me or even the check out person knowing my name and watching everything I am buying...

    I am sure that says more about me and my issues than anything else ;)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

You might like these other posts:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...