Friday, October 22, 2010

Kill Your Darlings

In writing, the saying goes, "Sometimes, to build the best book you can, you have to kill your darlings." It means editing away all the pieces that don't drive the story. Whether the particular scene is fast-paced or intense, or emotional, if it doesn't move the essential plot of the story, it must - - for the good of the book - be cut. You must Kill Your Darlings.

When I pulled these out of the garden tonight, I realized, in cooking, it's the same. The darlings, sometimes the best of the best of the garden, must die for the overall good of the meal. The beauties I nurtured and cared for all year, must sacrifice their very lives to create the best meal I could.

In tribute to their brilliance:





They Became:



4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the comment and the follow. I am now following back :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had much of a breakfast yet, and now I'm really hungry. haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy!!! Looks really good!
    I invite you to follow me at:
    http://pioneer-writer.blogspot.com
    http://sassychic10.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog. Thanks for sharing with me, glad to be here.
    I'm here from the Blog Hop. I'm your newest follower, please follow me back.
    Also feel free to join our Typing Together Week Long Link up! You can find it under the Blog-hop button
    Tchoplin2009@gmail.com
    http://www.nontypicalmom.com/

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

You might like these other posts:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...