Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Is Cholera On Its Way to My House?

The Cholera outbreak in Haiti is concerning me. I did some research and Cholera was nearly non-existent in Haiti before the Hurricane. It is only because of the shortage of clean water Cholera has been able to claim over 300 lives there. It's not a vaccine most people ever think of, because it's simple to prevent. Clean water is the only thing needed. My house boasts an endless supply of clean water.


On a normal, non-disaster day.


Cholera is a simple bacterial infection in the intestine, with a short incubation period and causes victims to suffer from severe dehydration due to diarrhea and vomiting, and eventually death.


In the event of a disaster here at home, the same fate may await.


I have a severe shortage of stored water. Although I've been working my way, if a disaster struck today, I have less than a week of clean water available. Not cool.


I should have 1-2 gallons per person, per day. 


Four people x seven days x two gallons = FIFTY-SIX gallons


I found this cool, fairly inexpensive water storage tank from a company called SureWater. The smaller tank is 275 gallson for $479. Not a bad deal. And 275 gallons is over a month of water (look at me, cracking out all this math - - feel free to ignore any mistakes)





While I'm working on saving up the $500 to snag one of these...I'm going this route:

This Survival Mama has some fantastic ideas about vacuum-sealing water in two cup portions and freezing the bags. She double seals them and sticks them in the deep freeze. Brilliant. To meet the fifty-six gallon requirement for a week of clean water, I'll need 448 bags. Um....wow.


Maybe I can meet somewhere in the middle. Either way, time to get going.


5 comments:

  1. WOWZA!

    Okay..now you have my paranoia flaring up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this is scary. Glad that you are coming up backup plan. I am a new follower thanks for following me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grab a gallon or 2 every time I am at Walmart. I would hit 275 gallons before I hit $275... But having some rain barrels I can collect and potentially use for garden or wash is something I am considering. Also have those straws that allow you to drink out of a mud puddle and be ok....

    Cholera would be an awful way to go...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, I hadn't thought about the necessity of making sure you have clean water stored up just in case... :)

    Thanks for stopping by my blog - it's nice to 'meet' you! I'm now following you, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the great info!

    Thanks for the follow from last weeks bloghop. I was out of town and just now getting all caught up. I am your newest follower! :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

You might like these other posts:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...